Solar Victoria logo

Information and resources to help retailers and installers maintain and comply with safety and quality standards.

We work closely with regulators and peak bodies to ensure safety and quality standards are maintained across the Solar Homes and Solar for Business programs. We are committed to working with industry to improve outcomes under these programs.

Authorised retailers and installers in our programs are required to meet relevant safety and quality standards and comply with all applicable laws, regulations and standards.

The resources and information on this page are not exhaustive and do not replace the obligations of authorised retailers and installers to understand and comply with all compliance obligations, standards and requirements.

WorkSafe Victoria

Website: Link

WorkSafe Victoria (WSV) is Victoria’s occupational health and safety regulator. Its role is to prevent workplace injuries, illness and fatalities, and to enforce Victoria’s occupational health and safety legislation.

As an employer, you are required to provide and maintain a working environment for your employees that is safe and without risks to health.

This includes inducting employees into a well-developed safety management plan. You also need to develop and follow a safe work method statement (SWMS) to undertake high-risk construction work. High-risk construction work is:

  • where a person has a risk of falling more than two metres
  • on or near energised electrical installations or services.

Useful resources and information:

Working from heights:

Also see the series of technical solution sheetsExternal Link we developed with WorkSafe Victoria on working safely at height and:

Energy Safe Victoria

Website: Link

Energy Safe Victoria (ESV) is the state energy safety regulator for gas, electricity and pipelines in Victoria. Its role includes ensuring electrical workers isolate, take appropriate measures and work safely when installing electrical equipment and electrical installations.

Authorised retailers in our programs must ensure that only employees who are licensed electrical installation workers carry out electrical installation work. Installing and maintaining the following is electrical installation work, which must be carried out by licensed electrical workers:

  • PV systems
  • electrical equipment, including grid and stand-alone power systems
  • associated wiring systems that operate, or are intended to operate, at a voltage greater than extra low voltage (ELV) – not exceeding 50Va.c. or 120V ripple-free d.c.

A person who is not a licensed electrical installation worker is only authorised to locate, mount or fix in place individual items of ELV electrical equipment.

They cannot make or terminate electrical connections to individual items of ELV electrical equipment or install supply conductors that will connect the equipment to an electricity supply greater than ELV.

Useful resources and information:

See solar installationsExternal Link for:

  • Working safely when installing photovoltaic (PV) systems
  • Ensuring a compliant PV installation
  • Identifying mismatched d.c. connectors in PV installations
  • Grid connected inverter requirements from 18 December 2021

Also see:

Victorian Building Authority

Website: Link

The Victorian Building Authority (VBA) regulates Victoria's plumbing practitioners and plumbing work.

The VBA uses a range of regulatory tools to prevent and react to non-compliance. This includes an audit program to identify levels of non-compliance, a complaints and enforcement team that monitor compliance and investigate complaints and regular occurrences of non-compliance.

Useful resources and information:

These key documents form the plumbing regulatory framework in Victoria:

Clean Energy Council

Website: Link

The Clean Energy Council (CEC) is a peak body for the clean energy sector in Australia.

To participate in the Solar Homes and Solar for Business programs and maintain standards across the industry:

Solar Victoria may refer potential breaches of the New Energy Tech Consumer Code to the CEC. We may also refer instances of non-compliance by CEC Accredited Installers. These referrals can follow from the performance reporting stage of audits.

Energy and Water Ombudsman Victoria

Website: Link

The Energy and Water Ombudsman (EWOV) is a dispute resolution service for energy and water issues. EWOV receives complaints about energy and water related matters within its jurisdiction.

Essential Services Commission

Website: Link

The Essential Services Commission (ESC) is Victoria’s regulator for the price, quality and reliability of essential services, and sets the minimum feed-in tariffsExternal Link that energy companies pay to consumers for power they export to the grid (via sources including solar panels).

The ESC provides information for consumers in relation to electricity, gas and water issues as well as energy saving information.

Clean Energy Regulator

Website: Link

The Clean Energy Retailer (CER) is an Australian independent statutory authority responsible for administering legislation to reduce carbon emissions and increase the use of clean energy.

The CER provides education and information in relation to the schemes that it administers, including the Greenhouse and Energy Reporting Scheme, Emissions Reduction Fund, Renewable Energy Target, among others.

Consumer Affairs Victoria

Website: Link

Consumers of solar can also seek protection from practices like inaccurate marketing and high-pressure tactics.

We are working with a range of regulators, government agencies and peak bodies to ensure consumer protection.

Reviewed 26 April 2023

Sign up to our industry newsletter

Sign up for updates on new initiatives, training, safety and compliance plus more - for retailers, installers and other workers.