About the program
The ZEV subsidy reduces the upfront cost of a new zero emissions vehicle (ZEV) to get more Victorians driving the future of transport sooner.
ZEVs are an important step in Victoria’s transition to a clean energy future. They do not use petroleum fuels and therefore do not emit greenhouse gas emissions from the tailpipe.
The Victorian Government’s target is for half of all light vehicle sales in Victoria to be ZEVs by 2030. Its Zero Emissions Vehicle delivers the long-term vision to roll out this key driver of our clean energy future.
You can learn more about ZEVs on the DEECA Energy . From performance to cost, you’ll be surprised about the potential of ZEVs.
How much is the subsidy?
The subsidy is $3,000 for eligible new ZEVs purchased on or after 2 May 2021.
Am I eligible?
The ZEV Subsidy is available to Victorian residents and businesses with a registered office in Victoria. At this stage, the subsidy is available to Victorians for one vehicle purchase and to businesses for the purchase of up to two vehicles.
It is subject to availability and can only be applied:
- once per ZEV
- once per individual
- twice per business
To be eligible for a ZEV Subsidy you must be:
- an individual resident in the State of Victoria, with a Victorian driver licence; or
- a business applicant with a registered office in the State of Victoria
The vehicle must be:
- an eligible ZEV model that is a passenger car
- with a purchase price (dutiable value) under the threshold of $68,740 (see the tax invoice examples below)
- purchased brand new or as a demonstrator model (see ZEV FAQs for definition of a demonstrator model)
- purchased on or after 2 May 2021, as dated on the Contract of Sale.
- purchased through a participating ZEV trader
- registered in the State of Victoria
- delivered and registered with VicRoads within a maximum of 6 months from the date the customer enters into the Contract of Sale
Eligible ZEV models purchased under leasing agreements are eligible, provided all other criteria are met. See ZEV FAQs.
The following are not eligible for the ZEV Subsidy:
- Licenced Motor Car Traders
- Government entities (including local councils)
- Motorcycles and other vehicle types, including plug-in hybrid vehicles
See the ZEV trader terms and conditions for more details.
How can I receive the subsidy?
Since 17 November 2021 the ZEV Subsidy is only applied at the point of sale by car dealers participating in this program. See Find a participating ZEV trader.
Under this point-of-sale process:
- your car dealer will ask you for information, including your Victorian driver licence (a mandatory eligibility requirement), to apply for the subsidy on your behalf
- you will be notified by email to confirm that the car dealer has applied for the subsidy on your behalf, then
- if all eligibility criteria are met, the car dealer will apply the subsidy as a discount to your final payment and you will see the subsidy discount applied to your eligible ZEV on the purchase documents
- you may be contacted by Solar Victoria after you receive your subsidy discount so we can learn more about your experience with the program
More ways to drive our clean energy future
You can drive the future of transport and our clean energy future even further with solar panels on your roof and a solar battery at home.
With solar panels, you have the potential to drive completely carbon neutral, charging your car from the clean power you generate throughout the day with affordable, renewable energy. And with a solar battery you have the flexibility to charge your car with the renewable energy from your solar panels at any time.
Read about our solar panel (PV) rebate and solar battery rebate. You can also learn more about solar in the Solar Hub.
Please contact Solar Victoria by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 1300 376 393, Monday to Friday 8:00 am – 6:00 pm (except public holidays).
Participating car dealerships can assist you with any questions you have about the eligibility criteria or about purchasing a ZEV. See Find a participating ZEV trader.
Information for Zero Emissions Vehicle (ZEV) traders
This information will step you through specific tasks and processes to help you participate as a ZEV trader in the ZEV Subsidy program.
FAQs: Zero Emissions Vehicle (ZEV) Subsidy
These FAQs supplement the information on our main ZEV Subsidy page.
Reviewed 02 February 2023