Not-for-profit community housing providers are eligible to apply for solar panel rebates on behalf of their renters. This is a great opportunity for housing providers to help reduce cost of living pressures for low-income Victorians.
Solar Victoria can support eligible community housing providers who are preparing to install solar on their properties.
From 1st July 2021, the maximum rebate amount will be $1,400 per tenancy.
To be eligible to receive the solar panel (PV) rebate, your organisation must meet the following requirements:
About the rebate
- Rebates will be provided for solar systems installed on existing residential dwellings, including free standing homes, multi-unit dwellings and apartments. The rebate will not be provided for solar installed on (or supplying energy to) new buildings under construction or communal living spaces.
- Solar Victoria will fund up to $1,400 or a maximum of 50% of the costs of the solar per individual residential rental agreement. For example, if the net costs of solar are $2,000, then the rebate value applied is $1,000 (not $1,400).
- Technology installation costs shared between multiple systems can be proportionately applied to separate invoices for the purpose of the Solar Homes rebate. This is subject to compliance with product standards, electrical safety regulations and distribution network service providers DNSP connection requirements.
- On approval, a funding agreement is established between the community housing provider and Solar Victoria (DELWP) to administer the solar PV rebate.
- Note that upon installation of the solar system there is a cost that is payable by renters to the energy retailer to transfer to the solar connection. Applicants should enquire about these charges before installation to support their renters with connecting the new solar system after installation.
- Applicants who manage Victorian Government owned properties are required to request a supporting letter from the Homes Victoria Agencies Leases and Agreements team to ensure solar can be installed on nominated properties. Contact the Homes Victoria Agencies Leases and Agreements team at .
How to apply
- Step 1. Check your organisation is eligible and get in contact with the Solar Victoria team at to confirm eligibility.
- Step 2. Get quotes from a Solar Homes participating .
- Step 3. Submit an Expression of Interest to Solar Victoria containing:
- Relevant details on the Community Housing provider (registered name, ABN, address and contact details), including information to demonstrate your organisation provides affordable housing for low-income Victorians
- A brief outline of the proposed works (such as the number of homes, address, size of systems and quotes for installation)
- Evidence of eligibility.
- Step 4. Send the Expression of Interest or any questions during the application process you may have to .
Reviewed 15 July 2021