To further reduce installation costs, householders can apply for an interest-free loan, for an amount equivalent to their rebate amount. The loan is required to be repaid over four years or can be repaid sooner in one lump sum.
Your retailer will then upload your quote to the Solar Victoria Portal (the Portal), which will trigger the online process for your eligibility assessment. Once this is done, all you need to do is upload proof of income and a Rates notice to confirm your details.
On confirmation that you are eligible, your retailer will claim the rebate on your behalf and deduct the rebate amount from the total cost of your system. You will then pay the outstanding balance directly to your retailer once your solar is installed.
Typical households can save up to $890 per year on their electricity bills when they install solar panels.
Am I eligible?
Victorian households are eligible to receive a rebate for installing a solar PV system if they meet the following criteria:
- they are the owner-occupier of the property
- the owners have a combined household taxable income of less than $180,000 per year (based on last year’s Australian Tax Office Notice of Assessment)
- they have not already received a rebate as an owner-occupier under the Solar Homes Program
- it is an existing property, valued at under $3 million
- that the property address has not previously taken part in the Solar Homes Program
- they do not have an existing solar PV system*.
* Early adopters who installed their system prior to 1 November 2009 are eligible to replace or expand their existing system. However, those receiving the Premium Feed-in Tariff should consider whether they will be better off if they replace their existing system.
To further reduce costs, owner-occupiers can apply for an interest-free loan, for an amount equivalent to their rebate amount.
An interest-free loan, matching the rebate amount, is also available for most solar panel (PV) applications.
In line with the existing rebate, the new interest-free loan can be applied up to an amount of $1,400. If your total system cost is less than $2,800, there will be no upfront cost.
The loan is required to be repaid over four years or can be repaid sooner in one lump sum.
How to apply
To find out how to apply for a solar panel rebate for owner-occupiers, click on the button below.
Other solar rebates available
Reviewed 23 August 2021