Step 1: Apply for an eligibility number
Solar Victoria is the only place you can go to confirm your eligibility for a rebate. Your installer cannot confirm your eligibility.
You need to get an eligibility number from us before you can apply for a rebate.
To be eligible for a rebate, you must be able to answer ‘Yes’ to the following criteria and provide proof that you meet the criteria:
- Do you have a combined taxable income of less than $180,000 per annum? (based on the 2016/17 or 2017/18 tax assessment notices for the property owners as evidenced in the rates notice, or proof of pension income e.g. Centrelink payment summary)
- Are you the owner-occupier of the property?
- Is the property valued at under $3 million?
- Are you replacing an existing hot water system OR an existing solar hot water system that is at least three years old?
- Can you confirm that you haven’t applied for or received a rebate for solar PV under the Solar Homes Package?
Please note that households are only eligible for one rebate under the Solar Homes Package (ie. a household that accesses a solar PV rebate cannot claim a solar hot water rebate and vice versa).
To confirm your eligibility for a Solar Homes rebate you will need to provide us with some documentation to confirm that you meet the program criteria.
Before you apply make sure you have the following documents ready to support your application:
2. Proof of income
We require proof of income documentation for each person named on the Rates Notice
If there is more than one set of income documents provided, documents provided must be from the same financial year eg. 2016-17 financial year or 2017-18 financial year.
For people who are working, we need:
- Australian Tax Office Notice of Assessment (NOA) confirming annual taxable income
For retirees receiving a pension, we need:
- Centrelink Payment Summary or Centrelink Income Summary showing dates, reference number and confirming pension income for financial years 2016/17 or 2017/18. This can be accessed via your MyGov account @ www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/centrelink
For retirees receiving no pension, we need:
- Completed and signed Statutory Declarations stating that they are retired and have received no income for each house owner for the financial year 2017/18
For Veterans receiving a pension, we need:
- Department of Veteran Affairs payment summary showing dates and confirming pension income for financial years 2016/17 or 2017/18
For people who receive no taxable income, we need:
- Correspondence demonstrating the submission of non-lodgement advice with the Australian Tax Office (ATO) for the financial year 2017/18. The applicant can request this from the Australian Taxation Office @ https://www.ato.gov.au/About-ATO/Contact-us/.
3. Solar Hot Water Provider Statement
Your provider needs to fill in and sign your Solar Hot Water Provider Statement
You must ensure that:
- all sections are completed by your provider
- all boxes are ticked 'yes'
- the statement has been signed by your provider
- you provide us with both pages of the Solar Provider Statement.
Choosing a provider
All solar hot water installations must meet best-practice quality and safety standards to protect your rights. All solar providers will need provide us with a Solar Provider Statement to show that these standards have been met.
All solar hot water installations must be completed by:
- a licensed plumber and a Plumbing Certificate of Compliance must be supplied to the householder.
- an installer that holds a current Class A Electrical Licence issued by Energy Safe Victoria if electrical installation work is required.
- an electrician who can submit a prescribed Certificate of Electrical Safety to the householder, which has been certified by a licensed inspector registered with Energy Safe Victoria.
- a solar hot water provider who can provide a minimum five years’ warranty on all major components of your solar hot water system.
We have received alerts that scammers have been targeting Victorian households.
Be alert to callers claiming to be from the Victorian Government or Solar Victoria requesting bank account details. We will never ask you to provide personal details such as banking information over the phone.
If you believe you are being contacted by a scammer or have been contacted by someone engaging in fraudulent of dishonest activities relating to solar rebates please report to ScamWatch and contact Solar Victoria on 1300 363 744. For more information on scams visit the Consumer Affairs website.