Water heating is a major source of household energy use in Australia, after heating and cooling and appliances (see ). With this training, you can help Victorians save money and reduce greenhouse gas emissions by upgrading to a hot water system that uses less energy.
This free training will equip registered and licensed plumbers and fourth-year plumbing apprentices in Victoria with the skills needed to design and install energy efficient heat pumps and solar hot water systems.
What does the training cover?
Students who enrol in the training can expect to cover the following:
- Two nationally recognised Victorian units of competency found in the course 22292VIC – Course in Environmentally Sustainable Plumbing Technology:
- VU21716 – Provide advice on energy efficient plumbing measures.
- VU21723 – Install solar heated water systems.
- A non-accredited unit specifically dedicated to the design and installation of heat pump systems. This unit has been industry validated to ensure it complies with industry standards and benchmarks.
This training has been customised by the Plumbing Industry Climate Action Centre through consultation with industry and a training pilot funded by Solar Victoria.
Who can do the training?
You do not need to be working in Solar Victoria’s programs to do this training free of charge. This training is open to:
- registered and licensed plumbers in Victoria
- fourth-year plumbing apprentices in Victoria
When and how will it be delivered?
Training is available until 30 November 2023 and runs over two days. It is delivered in a blended format of face-to-face and online learning across metropolitan Melbourne and regional Victoria (please revisit this page for training dates and locations to be confirmed for regional Victoria).
- Wednesday 4 – Thursday 5 October
- Wednesday 18 – Thursday 19 October
- Monday 20 – Tuesday 21 November
- Wednesday 22 – Thursday 23 November
Where: PICAC Brunswick Campus, Unit 6 / 306 Albert Street, Brunswick.
When: Please contact PICAC to express interest in training at the Narre Warren Campus.
Where: PICAC Narre Warren Campus, 7-11 Fullard Road, Narre Warren.
- Tuesday 10 – Wednesday 11 October
- Thursday 12 – Friday 13 October
Where: PICAC Geelong Campus, 1/66 Tanner Street, Breakwater.
How much does it cost?
This training is fully funded by Solar Victoria for eligible participants and offered free of charge.
How to enrol
About our commitment
Boosting training and workforce development will ensure Victoria has an ongoing supply of skilled workers to support growth in the renewable and clean energy sector.
Reviewed 27 September 2023