Section 4: Finding an Approved Supplier and an approved product

Customers had to engage with an Approved Supplier from the Approved Suppliers list, and choose a product from the approved products list.

The Home Heating and Cooling Upgrades program is no longer accepting applications.

Approved products list

To ensure a range of high efficiency products are installed in Victorian households through the program, eligible reverse-cycle air conditioners are in the approved product list. All eligible products under the Home Heating and Cooling Upgrade Program must be rated at or above the equivalent of 4 Stars for efficiency under the Zoned Energy Rating Label. You will have to choose a product from this list to receive the Home Heating and Cooling Upgrade rebate. While the list will be updated throughout the duration of the program as more models qualify, the product must be on the list at the time of your purchase to be eligible for the rebate.

Product energy ratings

The Zoned Energy Rating Label helps customers compare the energy efficiency of different models. The models are rated for energy efficiency in different climate zones in Australia and compare both heating and cooling efficiency in reverse-cycle air conditioners.

These labels are specific to air conditioners, but as with other energy rating labels on other appliances, the more stars, the more efficient the system.

Read more about how the label can help you choose the right cooling system.

Approved Supplier list

Suppliers who are on the Approved Supplier list have met a strict safety and capability criteria, so that you can be confident of a safe and quality experience, from quoting through to installation. Being on the Approved Supplier list is the only way that suppliers can participate in this rebate program.

For safety reasons, a reverse-cycle air conditioner must be installed by a licensed tradesperson arranged through the Approved Supplier, not by an unqualified homeowner. You can learn more about these requirements at the Energy Safe Victoria website, but in summary, any Plumber engaged to install or replace air conditioners must have the following:

  • A license and registration from the Victorian Building Authority
  • A refrigerant handling licence issued by the Australian Refrigeration Council
  • An electrician’s licence (A grade) or alternately they must engage a Registered Electrical Contractor (REC) licensed by Energy Safe Victoria.

As mentioned on the Energy Safe Victoria website, after an air conditioner installation, householders must get an ESV Certificate of Electrical Safety and a VBA Plumbing Compliance Certificate once the installation is complete.

Only properly trained, licenced and insured Installers can provide you with these mandatory certificates that ensure your warranty for the appliance and the installation is guaranteed.

Some Suppliers may be licenced Plumbers who subcontract an REC to assist with the installation, and some may be licenced electricians who subcontract registered Plumbers to assist.