We can provide support to customers who are having trouble meeting their loan as part of the Solar Homes Program.
We recognise that all Victorians can experience periods of financial difficulty and acknowledge our social responsibility to assist customers fairly. Solar Victoria is committed to supporting customers experiencing hardship and see it as a benefit to the wider Victorian community.
What hardship support is available?
A range of financial assistance options are available depending on your unique circumstances. Options cover advice on how to manage your energy consumption to reduce financial stress, creating payment plans, and financial counselling referrals.
We can provide assistance to customers who:
- have an intention to repay their loan but need formal assistance in repayments of an existing loan
- make every effort to be as energy efficient as possible, as this will help reduce future bills and debt
- adhere to payment plans that have been agreed to based on their capacity to pay
- communicate and update Solar Victoria on their situation, particularly when they are unable to make payments
- seek advice from a financial counsellor, when recommended by Solar Victoria.
Who can apply for hardship support?
Customers who are experiencing financial hardship can apply. Financial hardship can be experienced due to a range of factors including:
- a change in financial circumstances
- physical or mental health of the loan applicant or a dependent
- physical or intellectual disability
- death in the family
- change in the family unit
- family or domestic violence
- involvement in legal proceedings
- natural disaster such as fire, flood or storm damage
- other personal reasons impacting a customer’s ability to meet their financial obligations.
How to apply
If you are experiencing financial vulnerability or hardship, we encourage you to contact our Customer Service team to discuss your circumstances and possible support options. Please call us on 1300 376 393 Monday to Friday 8:00am-6:00pm (except public holidays).
Our case managers will provide a professional, confidential, and individual service in assessing your situation. You will get the outcome of your hardship application within 10 working days.
How we use your information
We understand that some customers may feel uncomfortable disclosing and discussing their financial situation. We take your privacy and protecting your personal information seriously and will only access your financial information to assist you with your hardship application.
All data collected by Solar Victoria (DEECA) is handled in accordance with the Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014 for the purposes of administering the Solar Homes Program. For more information about what we collect and how we use your information, see .
Other help available
If you are facing financial difficulty, you can get free, confidential and independent advice from a community financial counsellor with the National Debt Helpline on 1800 007 007 (Monday to Friday, 9.30 am – 4.30 pm). This number will automatically switch through to the service closest to you, or you can visit the .
Victorian energy customers can access the following grants and concessions:
- Annual Electricity Concession
- Winter Energy Concession
- Off-Peak Concession
- Service to Property Charge Concession
- Electricity Transfer Fee Waiver
- Life Support Machine Electricity Concession
- Medical Cooling Concession
- Group Homes Winter Energy Concession
- Utility Relief Grant Scheme (URGS)
- For more information about concessions that can reduce your utility bills, visit the .
Reviewed 24 October 2023